Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mummy's entry - on disciplining the girl

Haye Li is getting cheekier and cheekier by the day, which baby doesn’t?! So when things get out of hand, I will punish her by either scolding her or smacking her. I haven’t really tried the naughty corner on her till recently and was pleasantly surprised that this girl actually understood the concept especially when I’ve not used the naughty corner on Rye Li for a long time now ever since Haye Li was born. I’m guessing that the daycare has taught her on how she’s supposed to be punished for her wrongdoings.

One of the evenings last week when I had to pick the girls up from the daycare, Haye Li refused to sit in her car seat. I didn’t have the time to coax her as there was a parent outside of the gate waiting for me to reverse my car out of the compound. So I had to force the girl to be strapped on her car seat, it took me several minutes with her screaming and crying.

She screamed and cried 90% of the way home. I was so fuming mad already with the rush I had to encounter with her that when she was not screaming, I was telling her that I will be punishing her when we get home and that she is to sit at the naughty corner. Whether she understood me at that time was the last thing on my mind and really, I expected her to also throw a tantrum on this.

So when we reached home, she was already calmed and I told her that I am still angry with her for not wanting to sit in her car seat and also she managed to remove the top part of the seat belt and that I’m going to put her at the naughty corner for 5 minutes when we got back. She actually smiled at me with her sweetest smile when I wanted to carry her out of the car but I didn’t smile back and told her that she is still going to be punished. Then she looked up at my face when I was carrying her as if to test if I was serious or not. She realized I was serious and kept quiet throughout the walk to home.

Once we entered the house, I washed her hands and feet and put her at the naughty corner. I asked her to sit down but she refused and I told her to stand there for at least 5 minutes and if she moves, I will take the cane (she is really terrified of the cane). I went on to do my things around the house and I actually left her there for nearly 15 minutes. I really expected her to cry but she didn’t. She just stood there with a wide gap between her and the wall and after a while, she realized that it’s tiring standing like that, she leaned on the wall. And then later, she sat down.

When it was nearly 15 minutes, I went to her and explained to her why she was being punished and asked if she was going to be naughty again. She replied “No” and when I asked her will she be a good girl now and she nodded her head “yes”. I asked her to apologise to me and she put her 2 hands up on her head and went “soyee mummy” and then I asked for a hug and kiss in which she willingly gave me and then she was off to play with her toys.


the naughty corner (actually suppose to be on the left part against the wall but she wanted to sit at that spot) this pic was taken several weeks back before the major incident. this washer a first time and it lasted several minutes.


i was taking her pic for records sake and rye li wanted to join in too. geez! also, rye li was actually entertaining haye li with toys while she was being punished and i had to threaten rye li that she will soon join her sister and she took the toys away.

Lately, since I can now officially use the naughty corner for both of them, when both are naughty, they will be punished together there but they will have their own games and conversation when I'm not looking over them.

1 comment:

Health Freak said...

How to be really angry with her? She looked so cute sitting at the naughty corner. Hey, it looks like she has plumped up a bit eh? Both your girls are really cute!